Follow my blog at

Utvalgt moteblogg

Tuesday, April 29, 2008


We all come to a part in our life where we feel we have to make a drastic turn in order to feel that we are getting somewhere. For some of us it is changing our surname, getting married, for others it’s the small things, like deciding what to study or where to go. At this specific moment I can say that I have reached this point. What will I do now? Three years is now about to brutally end as a student in Barcelona.

I have changed flats more than once
I have been in a local fight with a Catalan
I have tasted the sangria way to many times
Sagrada Familia is just another church that I pass now and then

Now I feel that it is time for a change.

Barcelona is a city to special for me to be “just another city I went to”. When I am in the process about what to do next, what city to go to, what job to apply for, I see myself appreciating Barcelona much more than what I have done the earlier years. Maybe it is because I know that I only have three months left, or maybe it is when you don’t have much time to experience surroundings, that’s when you open your eyes much more.

The other day I decided to experience the outside of Barcelona. As many of us know, it is a ocean out there with beautiful villages and small communities where we can find “real” Spanish culture. But it is always a struggle to get to the point where you say “I will go”.
Well this day we did.

With me in the backpack I dragged along my good friend Allison, from Guatemala. Sants Station was the next stop, and from there on we had no idea where the train would lead us. The funny thing about impulsive trips is that there are NO rules. Arriving Sants Station, we marched over to the big blackboard where destination and time is announced. We pointed out Alicante with blinded eyes, but it was to far. Next try – Sitges, too close. Last try – Mataro – where on earth is that? Impulsiveness ended up being very complicated on a early Saturday, so out of pure frustration we left the train station.

On our way crossing the road outside the station, I almost got hit by a tourist bus, and that’s when we understood that THIS was a sign. We stopped the tourist bus and jumped on. What the heck; the backpack was filled with snacks and music, it was nothing else to do, but to enjoy the sunny day in Barcelona. We ended up crossing the city twice, and even though I have lived here for three years and “seen it all”, this was another great and exciting day in Barcelona city.

No comments: