Follow my blog at

Utvalgt moteblogg

Tuesday, April 29, 2008


Two years has passed and it feels like it was yesterday that I moved to Barcelona. One week ago, I arrived Barcelona airport again, after a two-month holiday visit in Norway. I had my family there, my friends, my summer job, but still it wasn’t one day that passed where I didn’t think of my life in Barcelona.

The other day I bumped in to some tourists from Norway, who was telling me that they couldn’t believe how I could have the courage to live so far away from home. I had to laugh and ask them to look around. It just ”feels right" to live here. The small bars on all the corners, the narrow streets, and the old Spanish ladies give me horrible eyes everytime they pass me, and see my blonde hair. I always smile and see the charm in it. Different country = Different culture.

It is amazing how attached you get to a place once you have your belongings and friends there. The environment and little community we have established in our school, is something that has changed me a lot and made me become more independent. Out of one reason only – we know that we always have each other.

But off course after two years we all carry episodes and experiences, that has been tough, but that has also made us grow a lot. We have all heard about the robberies and violence this city carries. Unfortunately I was a victim of a pretty bad one.(..)

Never in my life have I felt lonelier and far away from home as I did then, but I have to say that the support I had around me was incredible. Not only from my wonderful classmates from all over the world, but also from the board of the school, the police and the public health system. It was hard to make myself understood with the broken Spanish I speak, but all of them did everything in their power to make me feel better and safe. After a couple of weeks I was back on my feet and fit for fight to go to school and be social again.

What I know now is that you learn from every experience you have in life. Barcelona is a beautiful city but it is important to think twice before you enter a narrow street in the evenings, and if you do, at least enter it with someone you know.


Mia Jacobsen, september 2007
Fashion Marketing & Communication

No comments: